I flew back to California this weekend and managed to pack everything I would need for the next two weeks (in both Cali and later in Florida) into my sequin duffel and Phillip Lim bag. This may not be that big of a deal for some, but I sure impressed myself especially since I was packing for various weather conditions.
As a fairly frequent flyer you'd think I'd have my packing down to a science by now, but nope I certainly do not. I'm actually the queen of throwing in random items that I never use or wear so this time around I decided to plan out my outfits as best I could. Unfortunately on my last trip back to California I had numerous items stolen from my checked suitcase* and so having been scarred by this recent experience I decided carry-on was the way to go this time around. Here are a few tips that helped me pack for this trip:
1. Wear bulkiest layers, coat and boots/shoes on the plane.
2. Stick to packing just two other pairs of shoes (a heel and flat).
3. Plan out outfits and matching accessories (I'm the queen of packing random items that I never end up wearing because I don't have the right shoes to match etc.).
4. (Might be considered cheating but) I didn't pack a blow dryer because I knew I could use my mom's while I'm staying at my parent's house and hotels usually have blow dryers as well.
5. I also knew I'd be able to raid my mom's closest / wash my clothes at my parent's (okay that's cheating too but still a vast improvement!).
* I aspire to keep this blog solely positive and hopefully a happy / inspiring place for you all but after some research, I've found that airline theft occurs more than we realize. I hope this post can be a warning for all of you traveling over the holidays to be careful when packing valuables (especially those of sentimental value).
Photography by Lydia Hudgens.